[mythtv-users] Logo Contest

Ivan Kabaivanov chepati at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 20:50:50 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 04:32 pm, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> >> YES! A logo contest! I am no good with logo graphics, but whenever an
> >> open source project decides to have a logo contest, they end up
> >> with a
> >> ton of AWESOME logos!
> >
> > I'm pretty happy with the current logo.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I agree. Besides.. whenever I see a re-brand I think, "Something must
> be wrong and they need to attract attention." Nothing wrong here.

Not necessarily and not always.  Sometimes a project matures and attracts many
more than the initial early adaptors.  The quality of the code improves, but
unfortunately coders are not marketers and don't realize how important eye
candy (and a logo is nothing but) is to new users.  They are quite
utalitarian -- the logo doesn't affect how good or bad the code is.  And if
the old logo has worked before, why not just keep on using it.

There's another aspect as well.  Many people who'd like to contribute to a
project such as Myth lack the programming skills, but have other abilities -
documentation, artwork, support, etc.  Why not harness their creative forces?

And after all, you're under no obligation to accept any of the offered logos.
You always have to right to refuse to incorporate new logos into the project,
websites.

So, what's to lose if we did have a logo competition?  Maybe 99 out of 100
submissions will be unimaginative copies of other projects' logos.  But
hopefully the 100th will be so fresh and expressive that you might actually
like it.

IvanK.