[mythtv-users] Logo Contest

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Sep 18 21:41:17 UTC 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Ivan Kabaivanov wrote:

> On Monday 18 September 2006 04:32 pm, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> I'm pretty happy with the current logo.
>>>
>>> Isaac
>>
>> I agree. Besides.. whenever I see a re-brand I think, "Something must
>> be wrong and they need to attract attention." Nothing wrong here.
>

> Not necessarily and not always.  Sometimes a project matures and
> attracts many
> more than the initial early adaptors.  The quality of the code
> improves, but
> unfortunately coders are not marketers and don't realize how
> important eye
> candy (and a logo is nothing but) is to new users.  They are quite
> utalitarian -- the logo doesn't affect how good or bad the code
> is.  And if
> the old logo has worked before, why not just keep on using it.

I didn't say it was a fact. I just said it's what I think when I see
a re-brand.

> There's another aspect as well.  Many people who'd like to
> contribute to a
> project such as Myth lack the programming skills, but have other
> abilities -
> documentation, artwork, support, etc.  Why not harness their
> creative forces?

How about some nice new themes?

> And after all, you're under no obligation to accept any of the
> offered logos.
> You always have to right to refuse to incorporate new logos into
> the project,
> websites.

For consistency sake, I would expect whatever new logo to be approved
as the project logo to be incorporated anywhere you see "MythTV" in a
graphic form. What's the point of a new logo if people are just going
to use whatever they want anyway?

> So, what's to lose if we did have a logo competition?  Maybe 99 out
> of 100
> submissions will be unimaginative copies of other projects' logos.
> But
> hopefully the 100th will be so fresh and expressive that you might
> actually
> like it.

Nothing wrong with the old one. If someone wants to contribute
graphics to the project, I suggest help with working on some more
themes. Especially widescreen themes since 16:9 displays are getting
more popular and only a couple of themes work well in that aspect
ratio. Only one of which I personally like. :)