[mythtv-users] Fresh Install - Not Saving Upcoming Recordings

Chris Strom chris.eee at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 15:41:08 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, Kris Steinwender <mythtv at steiney.com> wrote:
> Chris Strom wrote:
> > Sounds like you forgot to tie a video source (eg zap2it) to your
> > tuner.  You do this in mythtv-setup with #4 Input Connections.  Choose
> > your tuner from the list, then make sure that Video Source field has a
> > value set.
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > On 9/17/06, Kris Steinwender <mythtv at steiney.com> wrote:
> >
> >>  Hi all,
> >>
> >>      Working on a fresh install of .20. Front/Backend communications work
> >> great, mythbackend is working like a charm - ditto for
> >>  DVD transcoding. Having an issue with the tuner though (PVR-250). While
> >> it's setup and I've got the channels fetching correctly,
> >>  whenever I schedule a recording, it never happens.
> >>
> >>      Via the web-ui, "Upcoming Recordings" is always empty. This is
> >> regardless of whether I set up a manual record or if I choose
> >>  a program through the guide.
> >>
> >>      In the "Backend Status", nothing is queued. For testing purposes, I
> >> deleted the PVR-250 and re-added it via mythtv-setup .
> >>  I noticed this increased the Encoder # to "Encoder 5". However, it still
> >> didn't solve my problem.
> >>
> >>      At a bit of a whits end, the card definitely works (cat /dev/video0 >
> >> /tmp/test.mpg) gives me a viewable file.
> >>
> >>      Help! :)
> >>
> >>  -Kris
> >>
> I tossed everything and have recreated it. Double checked and made sure
> that within #4 Input Connections
> that the Tuner1 is pointed to PVR-250 (the name of my video source).
>
> When watching Live TV, I can see the guide update as I change channels,
> so I can only assume that the
> relationship of Guide to Tuner works correctly.
>
> After recreating, the Encoder # incremented to 6.
>
> Toying around in the db, I could see everything I wanted to record
> populated within mythconverg.record. I'm
> guestimating this is the source of data when I click "Recording Schedules".
>
> Regardless, I'm still up the creek without a paddle.

What did you choose in #3 (Video sources) of mythtv-setup?  The video
source is not your capture card (PVR 250) - it is the source of your
TV listings (e.g. zap2it).  #4 of mythtv-setup connects your capture
card to the video source from #3.  To actually complete #4, you need
to choose a tuner from the list in #4 (select with arrows, then hit
enter).  In the dialog that is presented, there is a field labelled
Video Source (it is the 2nd field in that dialog, below one labelled
"Display Name (optional)".  The video source needs to whatever you
chose in step #3.

Hopefully you did not label your video source in step #3 "PVR 250".
That would be down right confusing ;-)

-Chris