[mythtv-users] XvMC OpenGL nvidia build question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 15 01:47:34 UTC 2006

On 09/14/06 15:22, Tom Lichti wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>Not sure. I hacked the configure script to do what I wanted, but I know
>>>what I did is not correct (as in useful for the masses), but it worked
>>>for me. I basically just remove the xvmcw option, so it hits the nvidia
>>>stuff.
>>>
>>In truth, you don't want to use it...
>>
>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/203600#203600
>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/202450#202450
>>
>Aha. I forgot about those commits, however, why are so many other people
>having issues if this is so hard to implement, I wonder?

I don't think I understand the question you're asking, but here are my
best guesses:

Q: Why is it hard to enable?
A: Daniel tried to make it harder to accidentally enable the setting (by
making sure it's /only/ enabled if you explicitly specify the
"--enable-xvmc-opengl" argument to Myth's configure script and link
against NVIDIA's libraries directly) because when the default was to
enable it, people with NVIDIA cards and no XvMCW would automatically get
it and then have performance problems.

Q: Why are so many people trying to use it if it shouldn't be used?
A: Myth users (in general--as evidenced by the "--disable-frontend" and
"--disable-backend" configure arguments and
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/10963 ) often see a setting and
think, "Hey, that's cool.  I'll use it!" without taking the time to
research it and figure out what it means and whether or not they
/should/ be using it.  So, a lot of people get 0.20, see that there's a
configure argument that wasn't there before, and work as hard as
possible to figure out how to enable it.

Q: Why shouldn't it be used?
A: Support for the XvMC OpenGL texture method is not yet complete and
tends to cause poor performance.

Q: Why are many people having performance issues if the likelihood is
they didn't enable this setting (since it was made more difficult to
enable than others and some have resorted to hacking configure to enable
it ;)?
A: They have different configuration problems unrelated to this setting.

Hope I guessed right on one of these.

Mike