[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv box HELP

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 18:53:54 EDT 2006

On 9/11/06, Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I need to place an order like tonight or tomorrow for my upgrade parts
> for my mythtv box since my shows start next week and I have class every
> bloody night :-\

Good luck getting your parts and having the system set up to
flawlessly work within a week.  It is doable, but tough if you have
never built a box before.

> ATM it's got an Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67 Ghz and 256 MB RAM and a 64 MB video
> card and a PVR 250-MCE.
> 1. Is that processor going to be sufficient with more RAM?

If you are not doing HD, and you have a hardware capture card (which
you do), that is more than enough.

> 2. How many MB should I get for that processor to kick ass at MythTV
> functions?

256 megs may be enough.  512 is probably better.  Any more may be
overkill, but can't hurt.

> 3. What video card should I upgrade to that isn't going to break the bank or
> blow up. I need decent quality so it'll last for a while. And please, Nvidia
> only.

5200 fx.  I have HDMI input on my TV, so getting DVI out was important
to me, may not be for you.  A lack of fan may also be important to
you, not so much for me.

> 4. I don't have s-video input on my TV. I've got the yellow/red/white thing
> going on and coax. That's it. Should I just use my 21" CRT  monitor to
> replace my 20" tv?

It's up to you.  You can get an s-video to component dongle for fairly
cheap.  Go with whatever gives you the best picture.  Might want to do
the monitor just for ease of setup.

> 5. I need to get another PVR-XXX card that has a remote. What's the best
> option for this setup?

Don't get a 350, you wont need or want the tv-out feature of that.
Get another 250, or 500 if you want three inputs.

> 6. What are some good yet inexpensive 3-speaker or 5.1 surround sound
> speakers that I can use? I've got an Audigy that still kicks ass after 3
> years.

Can't help here.

> 7. I've got a Thermaltake Volcano 7 CPU fan and it sounds like a jet engine
> it's so loud. Is there another fan that will provide sufficient cooling or a
> silent alternative that can cut down on the noise? The case has a side
> mounted fan to provide circulation. This will be going in my living
> room/kitchen so volume is an issue.

Can't help here.  I hear zalman is the gold standard on these issues,
but the fan noise does not bother me so much.