[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv box HELP

Timothy Waters timothy.waters at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 18:46:37 EDT 2006

Ok, I need to place an order like tonight or tomorrow for my upgrade parts
for my mythtv box since my shows start next week and I have class every
bloody night :-\
ATM it's got an Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67 Ghz and 256 MB RAM and a 64 MB video
card and a PVR 250-MCE.
1. Is that processor going to be sufficient with more RAM?
2. How many MB should I get for that processor to kick ass at MythTV
functions?
3. What video card should I upgrade to that isn't going to break the bank or
blow up. I need decent quality so it'll last for a while. And please, Nvidia
only.
4. I don't have s-video input on my TV. I've got the yellow/red/white thing
going on and coax. That's it. Should I just use my 21" CRT  monitor to
replace my 20" tv?
5. I need to get another PVR-XXX card that has a remote. What's the best
option for this setup?
6. What are some good yet inexpensive 3-speaker or 5.1 surround sound
speakers that I can use? I've got an Audigy that still kicks ass after 3
years.
7. I've got a Thermaltake Volcano 7 CPU fan and it sounds like a jet engine
it's so loud. Is there another fan that will provide sufficient cooling or a
silent alternative that can cut down on the noise? The case has a side
mounted fan to provide circulation. This will be going in my living
room/kitchen so volume is an issue.
8. Why am I doing this instead of a VCR? I'm sick of dealing with VHS tapes
and I don't have a home phone for Tivo to work through. Besides, this is
just more fun ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions!

--
Timothy Waters
timothy.waters at gmail.com
http://www.e-Waters.org
205-587-9001

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove
all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is easier to denature plutonium than to denature the evil spirit of
man." Albert Einstein(1946)