[mythtv-users] New Motherboard, any thoughts

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Sep 8 18:25:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 12:32 -0500, Drew Bernat wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2006, at 12:18 PM, Richard Krehbiel wrote:
>
> > FYI,  I am building my first MythTV system and have ordered the
> >
> > following parts from NewEgg.com:
> >

> > Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz AM2
> >
> > MSI K9NGM2-FID AM2 nVidia 6150/nForce 430 MicroATX
> >
> > 1GB (2x512MB) Geil DDR2-800
> >

> > I'm scavenging the rest from leftover parts (case, power supply,
> > hard
> >
> > drives, DVD burner, memory card reader, IR receiver).  I'll be
> > hooking
> >
> > the DVI connector to my Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD.  Yes, I expect
> >
> > see really good High Def from this setup.
> >

> I love this board. I've got the 939 version running my dedicated
> frontend (hardware died, needed replacing, _2 weeks_ from AM2 launch.
> Oy.).  The TV out is good quality and easy to set up. Actually, my
> frontend has nothing other than CPU/memory/mobo/DVD, although it's
> running diskless off a backend. But no extra video card or sound
> card.
>

> Drew

Drew,

Couple questions if you don't mind. I looked at this board on newegg and
it get's a couple knocks because of a couple motherboard components that
interfere with one of the PCI slots. Have you found any problem with
this?

Also, you say TV out was easy to setup. Can you elaborate a little? What
distro are you using? What was involved with the setup?

My current BE is randomly crashing. I've been wanting to get something
with TVout, so I'm thinking of upgrading the hardware and using it as a
FE and BE. I have a PVR250 and PVR350 so I need to be able to use both
PCI slots.

Any info is appreciated.

James