[mythtv-users] MythVideo on a frontend

Lachek Butalek lachek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 07:02:13 UTC 2006

I'm sure this is a ridiculously simple issue, but I've RTFMed myself
blue in the face and can't find any reference to either problem or
solution.

I have MythTV set up in a separate backend / frontend scenario. The
backend stores its recordings in /mnt/store and I've manually told it
to use /mnt/store/MythVideo for its MythVideo store. I have a number
of AVI files in the aforementioned MythVideo directory. When I go into
Utilities/Setup, and then Video Manager on the backend the files are
all listed. However, when I go into the same section on the frontend
computer, it informs me the files are no longer available and removes
them from the listing.

I'm suspecting the problem is related to the setting for MythVideo on
the frontend computer, since it seems set to look for the files on the
local hard drive rather (/mnt/store/MythVideo) than on the remote
backend's hard drive (myth://mythtv.example.net/mnt/store/MythVideo or
something). Come to think of it, the same goes for repositories for
MythDVD, MythMusic, MythGame and so on - they're all referencing local
paths.

To get the functionality of these plugins on a separate frontend while
storing all the media files on the backend (such as in the case of a
diskless frontend PC, for example), would you need to interface to the
backend via NFS/Samba or similar to "trick" the frontend into thinking
the files are local while actually served over the network? Does
MythTV (or its plugins) accommodate this direct file access
functionality in some (quite poorly documented) way? Am I just
misunderstanding the whole thing in some fundamental way?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.