[mythtv-users] Myth TV Recording from DISH TV or Set Top Cable Box

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 12:28:21 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Vamshi Reddy <vareddy20002000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Problem: I am able to watch live TV, and also record programs. The problem
> is that when I am using a SETTOP CABLE BOX or DISH TV, Myth TV is tuned into
> channel 3, and it would only record programs that are coming on channel 3.

The problem is that Myth needs a way to tune the channel you're
looking for. If your TV signal is analog this is easy since your PVR
150 can tune analog bands.

Unfortunately, if you're using an STB, you can only get the one
channel that's being put out by the external box.

To change the channel on the STB Myth needs to control the box either
through a serial or firewire connection (if available), or with an IR
transmitter.

Most likely, your STB has no serial or firewire ports which means you
need an IR blaster.

Your options are basically the $15 serial blaster from
http://www.irblaster.info/ or the $50 My Blaster from
http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_004.html (note - only the serial
model works with Mythtv, not the USB)

The cheaper model requires some frustrating reconfiguring of lirc,
particlularly if you're using an lirc remote, while the My Blaster
uses its own protocol and is much, much easier to get running.

You'll need to put the appropriate channel changing script in
mythtvsetup -- there is already a script in contrib/ for serial, there
may be one for firewire depending on your box, and the script for the
MyBlaster comes from the unit's site.

This has been covered many times on the list and is in the wiki.

The other thing to keep in mind with an STB is that you're better off
using one of the other inputs on your PVR 150, particularly S-video
and audio rather than RF -- you'll get a much better picture.

Good luck.