[mythtv-users] HD recorded shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 2 05:28:37 UTC 2006

On 09/02/06 01:06, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

>On Sep 1, 2006, at 22.37, George Roberts wrote:
>
>> By the way, this is why HD cable sucks.  They provide an
>>uncompressed signal and our Myth boxes can't encode
>>it fast enough.  And storing uncompressed HD is also not
>>an option.
>>

>You sure about this? I've heard of Myth users using QAM256 to tune HD
>cable with their HD cards, and Myth users using FireWire to capture
>data from their digital cable boxes.
>
>What REALLY sucks about HD cable is the encryption.

I think that's what he was talking about.  Those channels that are
encrypted must be decrypted by a cable box which then outputs an
uncompressed HDTV signal which can't be captured by today's hardware.
Since very few cable companies provide all (or even most) channels
unencrypted, HDTV cable sucks (you pay for channels you can't use or you
can't use Myth with all the channels you pay for).

Mike