[mythtv-users] Disabling Recordings

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Sep 1 20:40:30 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Michael MacLeod wrote:
>> My cable is going to go down for about 24 hours later this evening.
>> What's the best way to temporarily disable recording of programs while
>> the cable is down?
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Can_I_temporarily_keep_MythTV_from_attempting_to_record_my_scheduled_programs.3F

  ...add a "do not record this episode" override... (This
  solution will not work for episodes with empty subtitles
  or descriptions because they are exempt from duplicate
  checking...

This is incorrect. A kDontRecord will always prevent that
showing from recording regardless of circumstance (it's like
a negative Single that wins over everything else).

You are thinking of "Never record" which adds an entry to
oldrecorded to prevent recording any showing a specific episode,
however, a "generic" episode is not a match for any specific
episode. "Never record" is not supposed to be offered as an
option if the showing is generic.

"Don't record" on the other hand says that only this showing is
not allowed to record and if the same episode is broadcast later,
the later showings are still eligible to record.

--  bjm