[mythtv-users] Why is Mythfilldatabase deleting channels

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Oct 31 17:29:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 09:42 -0700, tbaca at heritagewifi.com wrote:
> As for the 4DTV, it is a C-Band Satellite receiver and comes into Myth via
> S-Video.  I have it only connected to the S-video input in Myth-Setup.
> Strange thing is that when I first created the line up, it did not find
> most of the channels; I should have checked, but I bet it only found the
> same 14 channels it wants to keep now.
>  Until the present issue happened, I forgot how I got all the other
>  channels in there before.  As many a mother will tell you, they forget
>  the pain of childbirth once they see the baby.  That is kind-of where I
>  was.  I had forgotten that I had hand entered some 100 channels via the
>  channel editor.
> On a side note, maybe someone with better skill than I could help create a
> basic SQL script that I could populate and then run to fill the database
> with this information.
> Back to main story, after I entered the channels via Channel Editor,
> mythfilldatabase worked great.  As I said above, I ran
> ¡§¡Xdo-channel-updates¡¨ and that is when things went wrong?  Looks like I
> will need to re-hand enter the channels ƒ¼

Ok, so what you need to do is get mythfilldatabase to insert these
'analog' channels for you.

First go to the zap2it website and select all the channels you get,
then run this:
  mythfilldatabase --sourceid sourceid-of-4dtv-source \
      --only-update-channels --do-channel-updates

This will insert all the channels you have selected in the zap2it
website for the 4DTV source.

Then for the nightly run use this:
  mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels
That will prevent MythTV from adding any new channels when they
are added to the 4DTV lineup (since you most likely won't be
able to get these).

If you have any conventional analog sources, such as a OTA analog,
then run this before running the above to get the listings:
  mythfilldatabase --sourceid id-of-ota-analog-source \
                   --only-update-channels

BTW There appears to be something wrong with your mail reader,
it looks like it is not setting "References:" header properly,
so your replies drop out of the thread they were in.

-- Daniel