[mythtv-users] Why is Mythfilldatabase deleting channels

tbaca at heritagewifi.com tbaca at heritagewifi.com
Tue Oct 31 16:42:51 UTC 2006

> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:15:02 -0500
> From: Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Why is Mythfilldatabase deleting channels
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 23:42 -0700, tbaca at heritagewifi.com wrote:
>> You mean this line:
>>    Edit lineup at http://labs.zap2it.com/ .  Run "mythfilldatabase
>>    --do-channel-updates".
>>
>> I did that, and that is when the problems started.  The system was
>> working okay for sometime.  I noticed that a new OTA digital channel
>> came up in my area, so I went to zap2it added this new channal to my
>> local channels and did a "--do-channel-updates".  That ran okay.  It
>> did not add the new channel from the local listing BTW.
> It's not supposed to, when there is a new channel you need to scan for
> it using the channel scanner. Then the next time mythfilldatabase is
> run it will add it to your zap2it listings.
>
>> I am not sure if the problem occured
>> with this run or the very next run, but soon after that I noticed that
>> all but 14 of my channels in my 4DTV listing were removed.  Keep in
>> mind that I made a change to my local listing, not the 4DTV
>> (satellite) listing.  Now when ever I run mythfilldatabase, with or
>> without the
>> --do-channel-updates, it removes all but those same 14 channels from
>> the 4DTV listing.
> In order to run --do-channel-updates on just one source you need to add
> --sourceid followed by the source you wish to update.
>
> As for why it is removing 4DTV channels... Are you tuning these
> directly using a DVB-S card, or are you using some kind of box and
> recording the analog output? If the former, just scan each transport in
> the channel scanner to get all the tuning data. If the latter, make
> sure this lineup is only connected to the analog capture input.
>
> -- Daniel
Thanks for the tip on the digital OTA channels, I'll make sure to do that.

As for the 4DTV, it is a C-Band Satellite receiver and comes into Myth via
S-Video.  I have it only connected to the S-video input in Myth-Setup.
Strange thing is that when I first created the line up, it did not find
most of the channels; I should have checked, but I bet it only found the
same 14 channels it wants to keep now.
 Until the present issue happened, I forgot how I got all the other
 channels in there before.  As many a mother will tell you, they forget
 the pain of childbirth once they see the baby.  That is kind-of where I
 was.  I had forgotten that I had hand entered some 100 channels via the
 channel editor.
On a side note, maybe someone with better skill than I could help create a
basic SQL script that I could populate and then run to fill the database
with this information.
Back to main story, after I entered the channels via Channel Editor,
mythfilldatabase worked great.  As I said above, I ran
¡§¡Xdo-channel-updates¡¨ and that is when things went wrong?  Looks like I
will need to re-hand enter the channels ƒ¼