[mythtv-users] How to continue watching buffered show when recording starts?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Oct 30 16:41:56 UTC 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Joe Votour wrote:

> I'm sorry, but when you say, "that the beauty of using a digital
> video-recording system is the decoupling of the act of watching a
> program
> from when it's on", I think that you're referring to a VCR.
>
> A DVR/PVR (like TiVo), allows for you to watch live television and
> (optionally) pause or rewind back into the buffer, as well as fast
> forward
> within the buffer.  Unfortunately, due to limitations in the LiveTV
> implementation, I effectively end up using MythTV as a digital
> MPEG-2 VCR.
>
> If I recall the original thread details, the pause button was pressed
> while watching a show, and then after that show was over the tuner
> became
> unavailable (recording another show), so the current LiveTV session
> bombed
> out.  I see that as a logic bug in MythTV, because even though the
> show
> was paused, it should have continued to record, so that the
> playback could
> be finished later.  Pressing the pause button (or rewind) should
> probably
> have automatically triggered the show to be recorded.
>
> Of course, this does make plenty of assumptions (is there enough
> free disk
> space?  Did the tuner have to be changed to another channel while
> show was
> recording?).
>
> In general, I tend to use LiveTV a lot during baseball season - if
> I miss
> a few minutes, it doesn't kill me, because I can always rewind back if
> necessary.  Generally though, I don't bother to rewind it, although I
> might pause every now and then for bathroom breaks.
>
> -- Joe

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but adding an
additional tuner (or more) will greatly improve the way you watch TV.
Throw in a PVR-500 and you've got 2 extra tuners for recording and
you can use your current tuner for watching Live TV any way you'd
like. It's not an unreasonable work-around unless adding tuners means
also adding set-top boxes and channel changing drama.