[mythtv-users] Accessing MythWeb through firewall

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 11:19:18 UTC 2006

> You'll probably also need a ProxyPassReverse rule - this'll remap the
> URLs in any response from the server, so add the following:
>         ProxyPassReverse /mythweb http://xxx.edwards.home/mythweb
>
> I'd also remove the trailing / from the your ProxyPass rule (or add it
> to the first part) - not sure it makes any difference but it's always
> better to be consistent.

Thanks for the help guys. I've worked out a really nice and simple
solution for this which I'll share here for posterity.

Step 1
---------
Remove the authentication from the MythWeb server .htaccess file by
commenting out or removing these lines:

AuthType           Digest
AuthName           "MythTV"
AuthUserFile       /var/www/myth_htdigest
Require            valid-user
BrowserMatch       "MSIE"      AuthDigestEnableQueryStringHack=On

Step 2
----------
Create a MythWeb conf file for Apache on the gateway box which is
accessible from the internet. On my setup this file lives in
/etc/httpd/conf.d and I called it PME_mythweb.conf. This file should
look like this:

<Location "/mythweb">
ProxyPass http://myth.edwards.home/mythweb/
ProxyPassReverse http://myth.edwards.home/mythweb/
   AuthType            Digest
   AuthName          "MythTV"
   AuthUserFile       /var/www/myth_htdigest
   Require               valid-user
   BrowserMatch     "MSIE"      AuthDigestEnableQueryStringHack=On
</Location>

Note that this file now controls the authentication so even though we
removed authentication from the MythWeb server everything is still
password protected because the gateway now asks for a logon.

Also note that I found it's best to NOT put a trailing slash after
/mythweb on the <Location "/mythweb"> line. If you put a slash after
it seems to be more picky about whether the original URL contains a
trailing slash, so I have left it off.

Step 3
----------
Create the myth_htdigest file in the usual manner on the gateway by
going to the /var/www/ directory and running htdigest -c myth_htdigest
MythTV mythtv

This seems to work really well and it allows me to still authenticate
so the googlebots won't eat my recordings. And because I have SSL on
my gateway I'm now accessing everything over SSL.

I'm not sure if MythWeb uses cookies or not - if it doesn' t now
there's a possibility that this may stop working in the future if
cookies are introduced, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.
There are Apache directives called ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain and
ProxyPassReverseCookiePath that look like they may be part of the
solution if it happens.

Regards,
Phill