[mythtv-users] Distro

mythtv-users mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 17:34:13 UTC 2006

> On Oct 28, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Andrew Lyon wrote:
>
>>> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
>>> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
>>> add to when required?
<snip>
> You could argue the pros and cons of the various distros ad
> infinitum, because they all have problems and advantages. This is
> probably not the best forum for such discussions however.

Quite simply, go with what you know, I use SuSE because I use it at
work[1] and I'm used to it, I tried FC and ended up spending twice as long
doing anything as everything was subtly different.

> There is no "best" distribution for Myth, any more than there is a
> "best" text editor or a "best" desktop environment. The "best" is
> what works for you, and you have a wide choice in all matters.

For those that haven't used linux before however I (personally) think
there should be a 'recommended' distro, how that should be chosen I don't
know, is there for example one distro that most of the developers use? The
most popular? Easiest? Best documentation? Most stable? Best hardware
support?

Maybe there is call for a site to rate the different distros along with
the hardware they're running on[2]?

David

[1] I even considered trying to set it up on SLES but figured I was
letting myself in for a whole world of pain!
[2] There is of course already a hardware database but it doesn't rate by
distro, just by overall rating of how well the 'system' performs.