[mythtv-users] Distro

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 28 20:45:55 UTC 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Andrew Lyon wrote:

>> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
>> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
>> add to when required?
>
> I would go with Gentoo for one simple reason, although the initial
> install may take a little longer than other distros you will only have
> to do it once, there are no "version" releases of gentoo, only new
> versions of the install and livecds, so in a years time you wont be
> faced with a major upgrade and downtime.

Ahhh, but when you do an "emerge avuDN world" and an ebuild fails for
some reason it can take a long time to figure out why and correct it.
Ever try to downgrade your glibc on a Gentoo system ??

You could argue the pros and cons of the various distros ad
infinitum, because they all have problems and advantages. This is
probably not the best forum for such discussions however.

The fact is that Myth can be made to run on just about any
distribution. The more popular distros will be better supported
simply because there are more folks running them and problems will be
noticed and resolved faster.

There is no "best" distribution for Myth, any more than there is a
"best" text editor or a "best" desktop environment. The "best" is
what works for you, and you have a wide choice in all matters.

That's what makes Linux so great: Choice.