[mythtv-users] Timeshifting on a diskless Front End?

Steve Helder shelder at thecpagroup.com
Fri Oct 27 20:46:00 UTC 2006

<-----Original Message-----
<From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Donald Hughes
<Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 4:40 PM
<To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
<Subject: [mythtv-users] Timeshifting on a diskless Front End?

<I searched through the FAQ and never found an answer to this question.  If I use a centrally-located server for <all recording and disk storage, would a separate, possibly diskless, Front End be able to timeshift live TV?  I <guess it would be doing this over the network, which may have negative performance consequences, but is it <possible?

Not only is it possible there is a nice little distro packaged up and geared toward diskless workstations.  It is called minimyth and can be found at http://linpvr.org.

I use it for one of my front ends a Via EPIA SP1300 and it works quite well.

<The topology I have in mind is to replace two Tivos with a central MythTV server and two MythTV front ends. I <was considering using old XBoxes for the front ends.  Since setting up a system like this could take a <considerable amount of time and a nontrivial amount of cash, I would appreciate any feedback you guys have on <this plan.  I know you guys probably hear these kinds of questions asked all the time, so I apologize for being <repetitious
<  If there's a post or webpage out there somewhere, please point me to it.

<Thanks for your knowledge and time,
<Donald Hughes

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us