[mythtv-users] my mceusb2 remote doesn't work in Mythtv

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Tue Oct 24 22:44:17 UTC 2006

Michael Lynch wrote:
> On 10/24/06, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/24/06, malcolm torrent <malcolm.torrent at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]

>>> I used the lircrc.native.example.mceusb2 which was copied to  ~/.lircrc
>>> and copied lircd.conf.mceusb for lircd.conf
>>>
>>> this enabled the irw program to correctly report the key presses on
>>> the remote to the terminal.
>>> also lirc service is running and has been configured to run at startup
>>> As far as i can tell from the docs. this should mean that mythtv
>>> should respond to my remote but it doesn't and I don't know what I've
>>> got wrong.
>>> Mal
>>>

> IIRC, myth likes to have ~/.mythtv/lircrc

There are two ways to setup the remote for mythtv. If you use the file
above (and myth is compiled with lirc support), then this sets up a lirc
config just for the myth application. Using this approach it's possible
to have different configs for different applications.

Alternatively you can setup the ~/.lircrc file, and the config will
apply to all applications. In this case you'll need to use irxevent (and
possibly irexec) in the config to send keyboard events to the current X
application. irxevent needs to be running in the background for this to
work, so you need to make sure you start this.

Bear in mind that if you're using xterm it actually ignores synthesised
X events by default (for security reasons), so just because you don't
see anything in xterm, doesn't mean that lirc and irxevent are not working.

If you're seeing sensible output from irw, then I'd say your
/etc/lircd.conf and lircd are setup correctly. The problem is probably
with the .lircrc file or irxevent.

Leighton