[mythtv-users] pcHDTV HD3000 voo doo

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Oct 17 21:32:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 16:31 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Fedora you would add a line with 'cx88xx  'to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> to stop the kernel from loading that module. The kernel will then load
> teh cx88-dvb module which will give you ATSC capabilities, and the
> hardware should show up at /dev/dvb/adapter0. If you have a /dev/video0
> entry then something is wrong.
Hmm, I'm not sure if Fedora does something bad to the cx88 drivers
but with any stock Linux kernel you can load both modules, and should
have both a /dev/dvb/adapterX and /dev/v4l/videoX for a HD-3000 card.
If you configure MythTV correctly (see below), it will never try to
access both devices at once.

> Now install the PVR card and add its modprobe commands to modprobe.conf.
> The card should show up as /dev/video0.
If you blacklist the cx88xx drivers this is true, but if you allow
the driver to load the PVR-x50 card will show up at /dev/v4l/video1
if it is loaded after the HD-3000 drivers.

> > I am told the HD-3000 cards will not handle both NTSC and ATSC - this is
> > an either/or situation.  In looking at .20 screens, there is the GUI
> > option to use the card "on demand."
The HD-3000 will handle 8-VSB, QAM-64, QAM-256 and NTSC. It can
only tune to one frequency at a time though, and MythTV is limited
to one channel at a time per card. To configure it for both digital
and analog, configure it as a DVB card and then click on the "Analog
Options" button in the card config (this button only shows up for cards
like the pcHDTV cards, which have an analog and digital side to them).

> The HD3000 will do ATSC  *or*  NTSC but not both at the same time. This
> requires unloading and loading of the modules. I have not tried this,
Nope, just load all the cx88 drivers. Recent cx88 drivers have
some problems with digital->analog switch, apparently a new
"feature" which can be disabled via some module param*, but
MythTV retunes as soon as it detects the driver screw up..

* My understanding is that the feature is supposed to make
  quick open/close/open sequences on DVB devices quicker by
  ignoring the close request if it is followed by an open
  soon thereafter. But the implementation assumed that no
  one used analog anymore... And, at least for some DVB
  devices, it also assumes that you never change channels!

The rest of the comment is pretty much right, only scanned channels
can be in the "Video Source" connected to the "DVBInput" input and
only analog channels can be in the "Video Source" connected to the
"Television" input (which is created after you configure the analog
options in the HD-3000 DVB card config).

-- Daniel