[mythtv-users] Front end locking up accessing video... /var/log/messages says front end killed because of memory problems...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Tue Oct 17 14:27:06 UTC 2006

Hi...

I am running mythtv .20 on a Linux 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 kermel box.

My front end is locking up for several minutes then dying if I ether try
to access the local videos menu or the local video configuration menu.
This is on the same computer that my mythtv back end is running.
However, on a different computer, I can access both menus (identify
where the videos are stored and find that there are no videos there)
with out any problems.

I can watch live and recorded TV on both front ends.

In /var/log/messages, on the computer where the front end is dying, the
kernel is saying (at least half the time) that it (the kernel) had to
kill the mythtv front end application because if was a memory hog!

I dumped the SQL data for myth on the computer running the back end and
did not find a reference to the expected location (/var/lib/mythvideo)
of the video files.  I might have changed this in the past to a
directory which had more room for storage, but have not been able to
find that path in the SQL dump either.

      ...thanks for any help