[mythtv-users] MythFrontend not working

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 13 12:32:24 UTC 2006

_______________________________________
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Silly Dude
Sent: 13 October 2006 12:49
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] MythFrontend not working

On my remote machine I can get mythfrontend to run fine.
When I go to Video Recordings I can see the names of the recordings, but
when I try to open them it says Cannot find the file or something of that
nature
When I go to Watch TV my screen turns black for about 10 seconds like its
trying to do something, then it goes back to the original screen

It looks like my remote machine is connecting to the backend, but when it
tries to watch tv it or pull up some movies it doesnt work.

Anyone have any hints?

paul

For the Video Recordings problem:

When you set up mythvideo on a frontend, you have to point it to where the
files are located. It doesn't magically know where they are, and the
mythbackend doesn't deal with streaming mythvideo files to frontends since
mythvideo is an independent plugin.

So you have to either point mythvideo to a local file store on the frontend
machine. Or, mount (google nfs and/or samba cifs file sharing and mounting)
the server's mythvideo directory onto your frontend system, then point
mythvideo to that. Ensure it mounts it automagically at boot. Then bob's
your uncle. Verify you can access the files from the command line from the
frontend prior to trying mythvideo.

For the LiveTV problem, does it work on a frontend local to the backend?
Have you tried running mythfrontend from the command line to see what sort
of errors it spouts when it can't view live tv? Does recorded tv work?

Have a looksie:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Diagnosing_Problems

HTH

Steve Daniels