[mythtv-users] Fast Forward with sound

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 15:44:15 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, Sergei Gerasenko <gerases at publicschoolworks.com> wrote:

> > slowest FFWD speed (3x by default).  You probably never noticed because
> > there are 8 speeds by default (so you'd have to hit FFWD 9 times to
> > wrap), but with the information in the links above, you can change it to
> > 3 speeds.
>
> Yep, after I wrote the post yesterday, I noticed exactly that :)
> >
> > Also, note that Myth has a setting (in the frontend settings under
> > General on the page "Seeking"):
>
> That's really nice. I'm going to play with these settings over the
> weekend.

> As for the original problem of fast-forwarding with sound, I did as you
> suggested last night by running the perl script first. It did say
> repaired/optimized for a lot of tables. Then I ran mythcommflag
> --rebuild --all and voila, everything started working like a charm.
> Thanks so much for the instructions!
>
> The only question I have now is: how do I make sure that the problem
> doesn't
> happen in the future? Do I need to run mythcommflag after each
> recording?
>
> Actually commercial flagging has been a source of confusion for me. That
> is, I don't understand the difference between flagging and creating a
> "cutlist". After my recordings are finished, almost all of them say "has
> commflag: Yes" in mythweb. But "has cutlist" is always "No". How can I
> generate the "cutlist" and, frankly, what IS it? From what I understand
> it's a set of marks for a video file for identifying commercials. Is
> this right?
>
> Finally, there's now this issue of seeking within a file
> that somehow has to do with mythcommflag. Is there a link to some
> article explaining all this in a little more detail? I did look through
> the documentation and couldn't find an explanation for all this. Sorry
> if this is an FAQ.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Sergei

Has Commflag means that mythcommflag has run and detected commercials.  It
creates  markers at the beginning and ending of commercials which can be
automatically or manually skipped depending on your settings.

A cutlist is different.  Basically a cutlist is created by entering edit
mode on a recording and making cuts in that recording.  Cuts will be
automatically skipped, it's like that part of the video isn't there.  The
Commercial flags can be imported into the cutlist by pressing z while in
edit mode.

Just a comment on FF/RW:  I noticed when using my Tivo that I much preferred
using 30 second skip / 7 second repeat to ff/rw so I just wanted to suggest
that you might want to try that out.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.