[mythtv-users] Problem with upgrade (ubuntu-packages) after changing the hostname

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Wed Oct 11 04:56:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:39 am, Matthias Thyroff wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> thanks for your support!
> First of all, I got the upgraded myth to work yesterday by forcing the
> install of the mythtv package, silently hoping that there were no db
> changes between the 0.20 package that was installed and the 0.20
> package I wanted to install. But
>
> apt-get upgrade mythtv-database still gives an error message:
>
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user
> 'root'@'marvin.local' (using password: NO) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
>
> while
>
> mysql -u root
>
> works without password.
>
> > I believe the mythtv-common package has the settings:
> > dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
> > When I setup mine, I made a note to myself to leave the host set to
> > 'localhost'.
>
> This requests the mysql server name, it is set to 192.168.0.1 (correct).
> Still the upgrade of the database package tries to connect as user
> 'root'@'marvin.local'

Try set the server name as 'localhost' only for this package.

> > dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
> > I also made a note to myself to remove any root password before this.
>
> does not work, it tells me that my mythtv-database package is either
> not installed completely or defect (something like that in another
> language).
>
> Now I have two questions: Why does the script in "apt-get upgrade
> mythtv-database" use 'root'@'marvin.local' and why does mysql reject
> access?

I'm not sure. ;-)

The packaging must be a little broken.

The following suggestions my break your system so backup.
Search /var/cache/debconf/config.dat for 'myth' and have a look at all the
packaging settings.  Maybe you can fix it in there.

> > http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc6.2
> > This link has how to setup mysql with grant commands if the above
> > fail.
>
> I have tried that to grant access to root coming from anywhere (did
> not sound very logical to me, but I tried it anyway), but it did not fix
> it either.
>
> As I said above: For now, it works but I want to
> enjoy future updates without hassle, that would be great!
>
> Your help is highly appreciated!

Paul