[mythtv-users] Problem with upgrade (ubuntu-packages) after changing the hostname

Matthias Thyroff lists at Thyroff.net
Tue Oct 10 14:39:16 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

thanks for your support!
First of all, I got the upgraded myth to work yesterday by forcing the
install of the mythtv package, silently hoping that there were no db
changes between the 0.20 package that was installed and the 0.20
package I wanted to install. But

apt-get upgrade mythtv-database still gives an error message:

Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user
'root'@'marvin.local' (using password: NO) at -e line 5, <> line 1.

while

mysql -u root

works without password.

> I believe the mythtv-common package has the settings:
> dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
> When I setup mine, I made a note to myself to leave the host set to
> 'localhost'.

This requests the mysql server name, it is set to 192.168.0.1 (correct).
Still the upgrade of the database package tries to connect as user
'root'@'marvin.local'

> dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
> I also made a note to myself to remove any root password before this.

does not work, it tells me that my mythtv-database package is either
not installed completely or defect (something like that in another
language).

Now I have two questions: Why does the script in "apt-get upgrade
mythtv-database" use 'root'@'marvin.local' and why does mysql reject
access?

> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc6.2
> This link has how to setup mysql with grant commands if the above
> fail.

I have tried that to grant access to root coming from anywhere (did
not sound very logical to me, but I tried it anyway), but it did not fix
it either.

As I said above: For now, it works but I want to
enjoy future updates without hassle, that would be great!

Your help is highly appreciated!

Cheers

	Matthias