[mythtv-users] SVN vs RPM

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Wed Oct 11 02:27:52 UTC 2006

David Fishburn wrote:
> I checked the archives but didn't really see an answer to this.
>
> If you are setting up a new machine from scratch, is it better to just grab
> the source (via SVN) and compile it yourself, or use an available RPM
> (whatever per platform)?
>
> The bundled up versions always seem to be out of date with bugs.  Just
> wondering if it would be worse compiling up the source.
I've found a combination of the two the most effective. If your choice
of distro has package management which automatically sorts out
dependencies, then installing a MythTV package is an easy way to
automatically install much of the software you'll need. You can then
remove the MythTV package, and build and install from source.

I think the 0.20-fixes branch of the SVN tree is supposed to be the most
stable, recent version available at the moment. Aside from bugs, you may
well need to build and install from source to get the right myth
configuration, depending on how you want to setup your system.

Leighton