[mythtv-users] SVN vs RPM

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 11 02:25:42 UTC 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 6:03 PM, David Fishburn wrote:

> I checked the archives but didn't really see an answer to this.
>
> If you are setting up a new machine from scratch, is it better to
> just grab
> the source (via SVN) and compile it yourself, or use an available RPM
> (whatever per platform)?
>
> The bundled up versions always seem to be out of date with bugs.  Just
> wondering if it would be worse compiling up the source.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

That's because both answers are correct. If you're willing to put the
effort into SVN/compiling as well as understand that it means you're
using potentially troublesome code, I say sign up for the dev list
and go for it. However, if you need a more dependable system, RPM's
are the way to go. I used to use SVN, but my daughter got sick of my
fiddling with it all the time and not being able to watch TV during
her allocated TV time. Now I use RPM's and have become patient with
new features to roll out to the public. Axel is quick to respond to
issues in the RPM's that require immediate attention so you're never
likely to be completely down for any length of time with them.