[mythtv-users] Problem with upgrade (ubuntu-packages) after changing the hostname

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Tue Oct 10 10:40:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:56 pm, Matthias Thyroff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please help me with  a problem I have when I update (apt-get upgrade)
> my ubuntu mythtv packages.
>
> The problem occurs when the process tries to reconfigure
> mythtv-database, the error message is:
>
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user'root'@'zeus.local'
> (using password: NO) at -e line 5, <> line 1.

I believe the mythtv-common package has the settings:
dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
When I setup mine, I made a note to myself to leave the host set to
'localhost'.

dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
I also made a note to myself to remove any root password before this.

mysqladmin -u root password 'password'
And to set the root password last.

less /usr/share/doc/mysql-server/README.Debian
Has some more Ubuntu details.

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc6.2
This link has how to setup mysql with grant commands if the above fail.

> The user root really does not use a password, but I have changed my
> hostname, it's not zeus anymore. I have been looking around and I do not
> know where the installer takes the old hostname from, I cannot find it
> in any config file. It still can be found in the database, but that
> does not seem to make sense if the installer cannot connect to the
> database, then he should not have the incorrect value from there!?

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc23.15
Is a section on changing the hostname.

Hope that helps,
Paul