[mythtv-users] Possible to run this setup?

me at blaue0.net me at blaue0.net
Thu Oct 5 07:32:25 UTC 2006

Zitat von Chad <masterclc at gmail.com>:

> On 10/4/06, me at blaue0.net <me at blaue0.net> wrote:
> That system is *probably* not enough alone to drive a 1080i program.
> From my experience, it stutters far too much on a 2200, so I don't see
> the 1800+ being enough.  You didn't mention any specific video card,
> but you are discussing XvMC.  If your card is an FX5200 or newer, then
> that all changes.  I can drive 1080i (with Bob-deint) on a 2200, at
> about 70% using an MX440.

Well, the system would be driven by an Nvidia 6200 with 256 Mb of RAM.
So this card is probably capable of running XvMC.

> PiP:  Currently (there is some work being done IIRC) XvMC cannot do
> PiP.  I don't know that a whole lot of people have had success (or
> even tried) to do something like running mplayer/vlc/xine in a second
> window to give the appearance of PiP, but given your system specs, I
> don't think it could handle it.  My understanding is that XvMC uses
> the Xv implemenation as well to display, if that is true, I don't see
> how you could have 2 seperate video streams using that same Xv
> display, but it may be possible.

I don't want to run VLC/Mplayer/whatever to have PiP. You
misunderstood me. I want to run the mythtv frontend *without* XvMC
enabled (I'm only playing back SDTV there). The only place I want to
use VLC/Mplayer/whatever is in mythvideo, where I play back some HD
content. Would this setup work? Or is XvMC global per display and it
doesn't matter weather an application uses it?

> IMHO PiP is a wasted feature on a good majority of MythTV (or any
> decent DVR actually) users.  PiP is, IMHO, for those who don't have
> the ability to record a show that is on at the same time as another.
> With a DVR you can actually record both shows (or record one watch one
> if Tuners are sparse) and give them your full attention, even if that
> means ffwd through most of it ;)

Well, this is one feature my parents like the most, so I probably
cannot remove it.

Christian.