[mythtv-users] 1080i HD without XvMC, how much horsepower?

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Tue Oct 3 20:31:25 UTC 2006

> I would like to see what cpu, gcc, distro, etc.  you use to watch
> 1080i HD.  I don't want any estimates or people's opinions, there is
> plenty of that stuff online, I just want people who are NOT using
> XvMC and watch 1080i without much fuss.

I am quite satisfied with an AMD x2 3800.  I use a standard Ubuntu
Dapper setup, 6100 video chipset (onboard my Asus A8N-VM).  Earlier I
tried a 3500+ and a P4 3.2 GHz - neither one could do it without
dropping frames.

My TV is 720p, so I am doing 59.94 fps deinterlacing (bob) - that adds
to the CPU requirement a bit (but not as much as I would have
thought).  720p had some frame dropping issues too but not as much.

So the bottom line - I consider a dual core to be a requirement for
hi def - both MythTV and X are quite busy.

Good luck,
Mark