[mythtv-users] OT: PCI slots: 64 bit slots on Dell PowerEdge

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Oct 5 12:40:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:33 -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
> > I've been trying to get a frontend working well with TVOut. I bought a
> > PCI FX5200 that I've been trying to run in a box with Athlon 1400+
> > processor. (I've tried a lot of things, see previous posts about
> > horsepower)
>
> Does it look like this card?
>
> http://aopen.jp/products/vga/large/fx5200-v128pci-l.jpg
>
> The important part is the notches in the edge connector.
>
> > I have another box that I decided to try and use. I moved all of the
> > stuff it was running to another box to free it up. It's a Dual Xeon 1.8
> > ghz machine. That's got to have plenty to do this. (no HD)
> >
> > Problem is the PCI slots. It has:
> > two 32-bit 33MHz PCI slots
> > two 64-bit 66MHz PCI slots
> > two 64-bit 100MHz PCI-X slots
>
> Does your PCI-X slots look like these?
>
> http://www.pasarlascanutas.com/bricolaje/ensamblaje_de_pc_2004/2_montar_un_pc_placa_base_022.JPG
>
> > Is there any way I can I use the 64 bit slots with regular PCI cards?
> > Maybe some kinf of riser or something? Currently the cards do not fit. I
> > have 3 tuners, plus the PCI FX5200. I'd be willing to trade up the video
> > card to something that would work, but all I can find are PCI-Express,
> > which to my understanding are different.
>
> Well, if the video card look like the image I listed, it will not work
> in the PCI-X slot, as PCI-X doesn't support 5V cards.
>
> The 64-bit slots I linked to as well are 3.3V slots, PCI cards that are
> not universal (5V only) won't work in them.
>
> Doing some google image searches, it looks like there are universal and
> 5V FX5200 cards, so it depends on which one you have if it will work.
>
> Universal PCI cards will work in a 64-bit PCI slot.  I ran a buffalo
> wifi card in my old B&W Mac and the current Digital Audio G4, and all
> the general use PCI slots in those machines are 64-bit.

The slots look like this:
http://www.obrien-pifer.com/poweredge/poweredge.jpg

I do have two regular PCI slots, so hopefully I can use those two for
the problem cards, if there are any....

The raid controller is the card that's currently in there. Based on
another person's response, I would not want to lower the speed on that
bus, so I probably won't use that slot unless I pick up a 64 bit gigabit
NIC.

James