[mythtv-users] OT: PCI slots: 64 bit slots on Dell PowerEdge

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 3 20:09:04 UTC 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 2:02 PM, James Pifer wrote:

> Then I may be ok. Just happens that two PCI cards I looked at first
> are
> not universal (one is a sound card). My FX5200 and two of my tuners
> are
> still in my original backend and currently running. My third tuner is
> still in the box... Hopefully they are indeed all universal!
>
> Anyone know about USB sound? I could save a PCI slot there. Being a
> server this mobo does not have built in sound. I see little USB keyfob
> type devices on ebay for about $10. Not sure if they work with
> Linux(fc5). I'm not looking for high performance on the sound. Just
> good
> enough for TV.

I've used those sub-$10 USB sound devices with Linux running on Slugs
(Linksys NSLU2 NAS devices running Linux). They work fine for simple
two-channel stereo.

I've never tried them on PC hardware, but I don't see any reason they
wouldn't work there as well.

Never tried them as input devices, but you shouldn't need that with
PVR-type capture cards or anything that's grabbing an MPEG stream,
only with cards like an HD-3000 that need an analog input.