[mythtv-users] Myth + Shuttle FE?

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Wed Nov 29 19:48:59 UTC 2006

> From: "Mr. Demeanour" <mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net>
>
> I have similar; it's an older Shuttle, 1.4GHz Intel P4, 512Mb RAM,
> NVidia GeForce FX 5500, frontend/backend combo. Newer (faster) Shuttles
> seem to produce more fan noise.

I've got what would now be an older Shuttle with a XP3000+ in it.
However, I'm only using it as a frontend/desktop machine.  All of the
functionality of the backend is in another box.  Seems to work great for
me.  But, I'm only doing standard definition TV with it.

> Finally, being a proprietary format, a Shuttle provides restricted
> opportunities for modification. For example, the fans seem to be
> non-standard (you can't fit standard system fans into the available
> space, so when mine broke, I had to fork out UKP20 for a replacement).
> You can't substitute out the cooling system - the Shuttle heatpipe is
> the only system you can use.

Now that sucks.  Fortunately, I received this as a gift.  But it'll
definitely bite if I ever have to replace anything.