[mythtv-users] Firewire Success Stories?

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:12:15 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Greg <greg12866 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Allan Wilson wrote:
> > On 11/29/06, *Greg* <greg12866 at gmail.com <mailto:greg12866 at gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Allan Wilson wrote:
> >     > On 11/29/06, *nik gibson* <nik.gibson at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:nik.gibson at gmail.com>
> >     > <mailto:nik.gibson at gmail.com <mailto:nik.gibson at gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >     Is there a sure fire reliable firewire method for the 3250
> cable
> >     >     boxes?
> >     >
> >     >     Thanks
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Allan
> >     > If there is i haven't found it..I have been trying for several
> >     weeks to get a 3250hd to work in Mythtv...I am able to do a
> >     firewire capture from the 3250HD and play it in Videolan. I can
> >     change channels while the caputure is going on,so i would say the
> >     drivers are right and the 3250HD is working properly,but when i
> >     try to capture through Mythtv it will halt my system. I have read
> >     just about every post and article on the net and still no go...I
> >     am interested also, if anyone has a real reliable system up and
> >     running...
> >     >
> >     Greg
> >     >

> >     >

> > Probably the best place to start is get some info. What is your
> > settings for that tuner in mythtv-setup? What is the output of
> > plugreport before and after you prime the port? What are you using to
> > prime the box? Jim's firewire script doesn't work to well on 3250's
> > and he released an updated one for the 3250s that basically adds
> > intelligence to the plugctl commands. If you don't have that I can
> > send you my copy when I get home this afternoon. We probably need to
> > start with your settings though and go from there.
> >
> > Allan
> >
> Thanks Allan,
>         It may well be i am not priming the port...I followed the Jarod
> Wilson Guide on setting this up...One thing i did find is i could never
> get this command to work mknod /etc/udev/devices/raw1394 c 171 0 ,but i
> just went back and tried it and it worked...That seems strange...
> Here is my plugreport:
> Host Adapter 0
> ==============
>
> Node 0 GUID 0x0014f87278340000
> ------------------------------
> oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
> oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
>         channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=146
> iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
>
> Node 1 GUID 0x001106664555795d
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
> I used  this command: plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1
> [...]

Try this to make sure you can record before you get to Myth:

If you go in to the libiec61883-1.0.0 directory and can run
test-mpeg2 -r 0 > /tmp/test.mpg
And then play the file with
mplayer /tmp/test.mpg

If that works then Myth should get it. I have the speed set at 200 mbps and
you can use the other sa32** cable box in mythtv-setup for more consistent
channel changes. Make sure test-mpeg2 works change your settings in
mythtv-setup and then run the frontend from a command window. Go to live tv
and pick your hidef tuner and post the output from the frontend if it
doesn't play. You have to make sure you are on a 5c channel which you can
verify before Myth by using the test-mpeg2 command. If you are having
problems with getting test-mpeg2 working then I will send you the program
that Jim Westfall worked up that makes it work for me. I won't be home to
get that for a couple more hours. Let me know what you find out.

Allan