[mythtv-users] Firewire Success Stories?

Greg greg12866 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:07:10 UTC 2006

Allan Wilson wrote:
> On 11/29/06, *Greg* <greg12866 at gmail.com <mailto:greg12866 at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Allan Wilson wrote:
>     > On 11/29/06, *nik gibson* <nik.gibson at gmail.com
>     <mailto:nik.gibson at gmail.com>
>     > <mailto:nik.gibson at gmail.com <mailto:nik.gibson at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Is there a sure fire reliable firewire method for the 3250 cable
>     >     boxes?
>     >
>     >     Thanks
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Allan
>     > If there is i haven't found it..I have been trying for several
>     weeks to get a 3250hd to work in Mythtv...I am able to do a
>     firewire capture from the 3250HD and play it in Videolan. I can
>     change channels while the caputure is going on,so i would say the
>     drivers are right and the 3250HD is working properly,but when i
>     try to capture through Mythtv it will halt my system. I have read
>     just about every post and article on the net and still no go...I
>     am interested also, if anyone has a real reliable system up and
>     running...
>     >
>     Greg
>     >
>     >

> Probably the best place to start is get some info. What is your
> settings for that tuner in mythtv-setup? What is the output of
> plugreport before and after you prime the port? What are you using to
> prime the box? Jim's firewire script doesn't work to well on 3250's
> and he released an updated one for the 3250s that basically adds
> intelligence to the plugctl commands. If you don't have that I can
> send you my copy when I get home this afternoon. We probably need to
> start with your settings though and go from there.
>
> Allan

Thanks Allan,
        It may well be i am not priming the port...I followed the Jarod
Wilson Guide on setting this up...One thing i did find is i could never
get this command to work mknod /etc/udev/devices/raw1394 c 171 0 ,but i
just went back and tried it and it worked...That seems strange...
Here is my plugreport:
Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0014f87278340000
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
        channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=146
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

Node 1 GUID 0x001106664555795d
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
I used  this command: plugctl -n 0 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1
I got this:
Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0014f87278340000
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=1
        channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=146
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

Node 1 GUID 0x001106664555795d
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
My Mythtv setting for the Tuner is:
connection type: point to point
IEEE-1394 Port 0 Node 0
speed- 100 mbps

Though i am not a complete newbie i do need a lot of hand holding.
Thanks again,
       Greg