[mythtv-users] Compelling reasons to go 64bit?

Mark Chang mark.chang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 15:50:06 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, nik gibson <nik.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to confirm, you are using your Athlon64 3200+ in 32bit to
> playback HD?  I'm considering buying a similar CPU but I've already
> gone through the headaches of 64bit and don't want to do it again :)

I am using it in 64-bit mode, simply because I was curious about
64-bit Ubuntu. I do not think it makes any positive difference.

It works pretty well to do HD. HOWEVER, if I had it to do over again,
I'd invest in something dual core or faster, as without XvMC I'm using
about 50-70% CPU to do HD playback. So far, it has managed to record
two HD streams from my HDHomeRun and play back a recorded one without
much trouble.

--
Mark L. Chang