[mythtv-users] Compelling reasons to go 64bit?

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Wed Nov 29 10:24:57 UTC 2006

nik gibson wrote:
> Just to confirm, you are using your Athlon64 3200+ in 32bit to
> playback HD?  I'm considering buying a similar CPU but I've already
> gone through the headaches of 64bit and don't want to do it again :)
>
> Thanks

I'm using x86_64 with debian sid for a frontend with no problems at all.
Although my setup is a bit strange it should be a worst case scenario if
you had the same thing setup dedicated to myth.

I run it with twinview and xinerama on the secondary head and it runs
1080i at around 30% cpu on a 4400+ X2. No skipping or jumping and I
really haven't had any problems with 'mythtv' itself being built for
this platform with 0.20-fixes since I started using it. Its not the
backend, that has been everything from a 1ghz to a 2600+ as it is now.
I've never really seen that thing use CPU on any of those just recording
and serving up the content so I'm sure it wouldn't really hurt it if it
were on this desktop/mythfrontend.

Now desktop wise, yes, there are some little headachs. But none that I
personally care about. Pretty much browser plugins are the only problems
I've noticed. But you could just install a x86 browser and use them if
you felt like you had to. You can still run lots of 32 bit stuff via
ia32 librarys. You just can't combine say a 32bit plugin to a 64bit
application.

-Mike