[mythtv-users] Compelling reasons to go 64bit?

Mark Chang mark.chang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 04:40:59 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm considering switching my myth box to x86_64 when I upgrade to FC6.
>   Is there any compelling reason to do this yet?  It has a 3Ghz P4
> which handles HD playback quite nicely with hyper threading turned on.
>
> I guess my question boils down to two parts: a) Is anybody
> successfully doing HD playback in 64bit mode with a similar processor,
> and b) Will any of the other processor intensive myth tasks, namely
> commercial detection and transcoding, benifit from the switch?

No performance benefits from 64bit code. Just added headaches ranging
from some binary stuff not compiled for you ready-to-go up to code
that doesn't compile at all with 64 bit. Plus, you get weridness in
case you want to use your machine to do other things -- flash, wine,
etc...

That said I'm using my Athlon64 3200+ to playback HD content smoothly
without XvMC.

--
Mark L. Chang