[mythtv-users] how to setup default recording options?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Nov 28 00:11:34 UTC 2006

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 11/28/06, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>> As of 0.20, yes. Go to TV Settings->Recording Priorities->
>> Set Recording Priorities. The "Default 'End Late' minutes for
>> new recording rules" will automatically add this scheduled
>> time for each new rule.
>>
> ok
>
> I have set it to 10 minutes, I guess each recording is consider as a
> new rule so the extra 10 minutes will apply.

A "rule" is each of the things where you've chosen to record
"Bowling for Dollars" each Tue at 8pm or whatever. If you
go to the "Recording Priorities" page (or "Set Priorities" for
some themes), each line is a different rule. You can press "I"
or Enter to see the options. Your existing rules will not
have the time added but any new rules you set from now on
will have the extra 10 minutes already set.

You can go down the list on the priorities page and add 10min
to your existing rules by going into Scheduling Options then
"End recording on time" and press ">" (greater than) to add
ten minutes with one keystroke or "->" (right arrow) to add
a minute at a time. However, here's a shortcut:

$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> update record set endoffset=10;

This will set all your existing rules to 10 minutes and now
any new rules will be created with 10 minutes by default.

>> This is a point that seems to confuse many people. If the
>> expectation is that the content of the show will extend beyond
>> the time in the listings, you must require the scheduler to
>> record the additional time. Optional time won't do because in
>> the event the optional time is dropped, the show's content
>> will be truncated. Having 'End Late' minutes added in the
>> rule will assure that the highest priority shows will record
>> to completion.
>
> I'mnot too sure I understand the subtleties but with only 5 TV
> channels here in Oz and using 3 DVB cards, I doubt I will face this
> issue.

Perfect!

> However, are you saying that the extra time set earlier is actually an
> optional time so it can be overwritten if another show is starting
> right at the same time it might interrupt it?

The 'End Late' minutes you are adding are not optional and
the scheduler  must include this along with the rest of the
show. This is the right answer for your situation.

Other people have been unsuccessfully fussing over the
complexities of silently dropping additional time if there
is an overlap. However, no matter what they believe the
'right' way to do this is, the problem remains that your
number one favorite show could cut off in the middle of the
final scene so the system can start recording a filler show
instead. I don't think this is a good solution and I would
definitely do what you are doing if I were in your country.

--  bjm