[mythtv-users] using MythTV with dialup

Josiah Royse jroyse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:50:39 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use MythTV with dialup internet connectivity? If so, can
> someone enlighten me as to how or post a link to an article or something
> that tells me how? I am having to regress back to dialup to save some money
> for a few months and I still want to be able to use Myth. Thanks for any
> help!

On Linux you can use the "Diald" program to dynamically dial modem
connections.  However you may receive a time-out on the first request from
mythtfilldatabase to grab the schedule (time for modem to dial, handshake,
etc).  You may find you'll have to schedule the demand dialer (either Diald
or Windows internet sharing) to connect first (like 3am) then run
mythfilldatabase after it is connected to the net.

--Josiah