[mythtv-users] Channels received over firewire

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 25 21:36:18 UTC 2006

nik gibson wrote:
> I've finally updated my channels listing and taken out the channels that
> don't come through over firewire.  Unfortunately most of the channels I
> want and pay for don't come through (TNT, ESPN, USA, Cartoon, HBO,
> etc...)

You might consider putting the list of channels you were able to get working up
on the wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Channel_Lists

An example (that I put up on the wiki yesterday) is here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Channels_receivable_by_FireWire_in_Las_Vegas%2C_NV

> I'm wondering what's the point if it's this hard and in the end
> you don't get the majority of the channels you want?
> Is this just something that everyone accepts or do I have a
> particularity nasty cable provider?

I suspect your experience is average, as far as the number of channels goes.
Fewer than half of the basic-cable channels are receivable over FireWire.  The
digital-cable channels aren't much different.

Of the small number of channels (probably no more than a dozen or so) I watch
regularly, there are two (SciFi and Comedy Central) that don't come in over
FireWire.  I might replace the PVR-500 I'm currently using for analog channels
with one of my single-tuner boards, as SciFi has never come in worth a damn on
the PVR-500.  It'd be nice to get a clean recording of Battlestar Galactica
again, instead of having to wait for the torrent. :-)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter