[mythtv-users] Pledge to pay developer who implements multiple channels on a single multiplex

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Nov 24 22:38:31 UTC 2006

Roy Lofthouse wrote:
> On 21/11/06, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote:
>>
>> This one time, at band camp, Chad wrote:
>>
>> > Out of curiosity, does this help anyone in the US, or is this purely
>> > something else?

Cable TV in the USA/CANADA uses multiplexed streams on the same
frequency. I get 10 different ATSC (QAM_256) channel streams on the same
freq on my cable. These are differentiated by the serviceid.

So it is quite possible that one tuner, could record all of the programs
being sent on that frequency.

Question whether it would not be more resource friendly to record the
entire stream and to demux it only upon playback? (Rather than use
hardware/software to split and record the stream at record-time).

>> As for terrestrial digital stuff, I'm not sure if ATSC has a similar
>> concept but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
>>
>> The conceptual changes in the code are likely to also be relevant to
>> everyone, as I'm sure this won't be the only "demux >1 programme stream
>> out of a single datastream received on one tuner" issue that we'll see.
>>
>> I chose Euro as the currency because the majority of people who will
>> immediately benefit from this change are in Europe.  It's not my home
>> currency either.
n/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

> I'm in.

Me two, or three or whatever.