[mythtv-users] Plextor PVR Device?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 24 18:21:48 UTC 2006

On Nov 24, 2006, at 11:04 AM, <jdonohue654-mythtv at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone have the ConvertX PVR card from Plextor
> working with
>> IVTV/MythTV?  If so, how is the recording quality?
>
>> http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402U.htm
>
> I'm using one. The linux driver are at
> http://oss.wischip.com/.
>
> The picture quality is okay ... but definitely lower
> quality than my 350. It is comparable to my old VHS
> vcr.

Were/are you using the default recording profile ? The quality got
significantly better when I increased the resolution to DVD specs
(720x480/NTSC) and fiddled with the other parameters. Sorry I don't
remember the precise numbers I used but it was a while ago and I
don't use them with Myth anymore.

I read somewhere that the units would not work with Myth at anything
but 640x480 but this turned out to not be the case.

I'm surprised to hear of problems with Plextor's tech support, it's
normally better than most, not that that is saying much these days.

I'm presently using one of my Plextors with EyeTV on a MAC, using
MPEG-2 encoding, and the quality is quite good. I'd like to see Myth
support the MPEG-2 mode of the device.