[mythtv-users] HDA-intel sound problems.

Russell Brown rmbzzz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 15:12:26 UTC 2006

2006/11/12, Russell Brown <rmbzzz at gmail.com>:
> I have a Pundt P1 AH-1 with hda-intel onboard sound
> which I use a frontend. The system is based on fedora
> core 5 with packages from atrpms.
>
> I have sound with my video and tv, but I cannot get mythmusic
> to play. The volume controls in mythtv do not work.
> The mythtv user is able to play music files outside
> of mythtv using mplayer. So I do not think it is a permission
> problem.
>
> Running alsamixer shows that I do not have a Master
> volume control.
>
> lspci -v gives:
>
> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81cb
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 209
>         Memory at fe028000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
>         Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping
>     Capabilities: <access denied>
>

> I have the following packages installed from atrpms:
> rpm -qa alsa*
> alsa-lib-1.0.12-31.fc5.at
> alsa-driver-1.0.12-54.fc5.at
> alsa-utils-1.0.11-4.rc2
> alsa-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-1.0.12-54.fc5.at
>
> I had alsa-driver 1.0.13 installed briefly, but this caused more
> problems. The idea to downgrade came from

I am writing an answer to my own question--at least one other
person has run into these problems so perhaps this will be helpful
to someone else.

To get analog sound working in mythtv on this hardware, one needs to

Visit Utilities and setup -> Setup -> General -> Audio

The sound device which defaults to /dev/dsp should
be ALSA:default

The mixer device which is /dev/mixer should be
default

The Volume controls should be set to PCM
since there is no Master control.

(Most of this information came from the wiki. I promise
to rtfm before posting, next time.)

In addition, there is a bug in alsa 1.0.13 that
seems to require the following line in modprobe.conf.
I am told this bug will go away in alsa 1.0.14

options snd-hda-intel index=0  disable_msi=1

The new bit is the disable_msi=1