[mythtv-users] mythweb stream .htaccess

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 23 21:32:22 UTC 2006

On 11/23/2006 02:44 PM, koen mythtv wrote:
> I want to start streaming my music collection from mythweb.
> but when i load a playlist xmms says 401 authorisation required.
>
> I secured mythweb with .htaccess and digest method.
> How do i 'open' the mythweb/music directory so that i can stream?
>
> I tried following the howto in the wiki for mythweb securing but that
> does not work for me.

That's because now that you've logged in via your browser, you browser
downloads a playlist, then passes the playlist file to a media player.
The media player then tries to read the stream from the URL specified
(making its own connection to the MythWeb server), but since it hasn't
logged in (remember, you logged in via the browser, not the media
player), it's not authorized.

Now, all you have to do is figure out how to get your media player to
authenticate.  The only thing MythWeb could do is put the username and
password in the stream URL so that the media player sends a request that
includes the username/password, but when you do that, you pretty much
negate the benefits of securing the MythWeb site.

Never tried it before, but you might want to look into whether your
media player(s) support the use of a ~/.netrc file.  If so, you could
just create a file like:

machine mythwebhost.yourdomain login mythwebuser password bewhtym

Just make sure you protect the file with at least:

chmod 600 ~/.netrc

If the typical media players don't support it, I'm sure the open-source
ones would take patches.  :)

Mike