[mythtv-users] PVR-150 built-in encoder vs transcoding

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Nov 22 02:09:49 UTC 2006

I've got a PVR-150 which, as you all probably know, does the MPEG2
compression and audio encoding all on the fly.  I tweaked the settings
for the encoder so as to give me pretty good SD video.  I know that
there are limitations since my DirecTV service is technically getting
MPEG2 data to the set-top-box, which decodes it and send it out to the
PVR-150 which is re-encoding it.

However, I was doing some tests with the pdatranscode script and found
that I can take the video that was recorded via the PVR-150 and
re-encode it via mpeg4 (keeping the aspect ratio and audio sampling rate
the same) and I can get similar quality (I've only been testing with a
CRT).  Of course, it took time to actually re-encode it.

The result was the test mpeg4 file was 1/4 the size of the mpeg4 file.

So, I ask.. aside from the performance of watching livetv, does it make
sense to transcode everything to mpeg4 in order to save on disk space
(no, I'm not one of those that has 2TB of space here at home.  Right
now, it's just ~600GB)?

-Rich