[mythtv-users] PVR-150 built-in encoder vs transcoding

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 03:31:49 UTC 2006

> The result was the test mpeg4 file was 1/4 the size of the mpeg4 file.
>
> So, I ask.. aside from the performance of watching livetv, does it make
> sense to transcode everything to mpeg4 in order to save on disk space
> (no, I'm not one of those that has 2TB of space here at home.  Right
> now, it's just ~600GB)?

What I generally do is record (via PVR 250) at full resolution --
giving filesizes of ~2.2 GB per hour. Unless it's something that I
know I'll watch either while recording or soon afterwards (like
sporting events) the recordings get automatically transcoded (mpeg to
nuv), reducing the size to around 750 MB per hour.

If it's something I know I'll be keeping I later run it through
nuvexport to transcode it to Xvid, cutting out the commercials rather
than relying on the cutlists and reducing the size to around 350 MB
per hour, and moving it to a separate partition for Mythvideo.