[mythtv-users] Problems with HDHomerun

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Nov 21 22:48:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 06:34 +0900, Michael Tiller wrote:

> My understanding is that those were QAM related.  I'm doing 8vsb
> (OTA).

I am trying to do both, but I think the crashes did occur with QAM-256.

> Frankly, I'm a bit anxious about updating to an SVN version.

Not that I blame you for that...

>   First, I have to deal with backing up the database in case there are
> schema changes.

There weren't. Backing up the database is a single mysqldump command,
but when I moved from ATrpms to comipled-from-source, I had no problems
with database schema.

>   Then I have to deal with LD_LIBRARY_PATH type issues

True, you have to edit /etc/ld.so.config and put /usr/local/lib first,
then undo that to switch back. You also have to make sure that the rc.d
script is modified to start the correct backend version, and that
whatever you use to start the frontend is also modified to start the
correct version. But I did this several times back and forth, and it
works OK.

> Then I might find that while it fixes my problem it might introduce
> other problems (since it isn't an official release).

That's a legitimate concern. But in my case I had no choice because I
had to have the QAM fixes. Unfortunately I don't know whether those
fixes would have applied to OTA use of the HDHomerun as well, but the
guy who made those fixes reads this list (I think) so maybe he can tell
you.

> Before I go down that road I just want to make sure it isn't some
> other problem ( e.g. screwed up channel definitions) that will still
> happen even with the new version.

It may be hard to determine this any other way than trying it. Most
developers and vendors that I've worked with, though, will want you to
be running the latest code before they spend a lot of time helping you.
They will want to be certain that the problems that have already been
fixed are corrected on your system before spending time investigating
your problem. I don't want to speak for them, but the HDHR is a
relatively new device in Myth, so it's going to require relatively
recent code. Unless you are lucky enough to find another user on this
list who has had the same problem and knows how to work around it, you
may end up having no choice either. YMMV.

--Greg