[mythtv-users] Problems with HDHomerun

William Munson wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Wed Nov 22 11:36:49 UTC 2006

Michael Tiller wrote:

> On 11/22/06, *Greg Woods* <greg at gregandeva.net
> <mailto:greg at gregandeva.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 04:57 +0900, Michael Tiller wrote:
>
>     > The problem is there aren't any diagnostic messages explaining
>     why the
>     > backend is crashing.
>
>     Just checking the obvious and the stupid: you are running the latest
>     code, right? There have been some major fixes to the backend
>     module for
>     the HDHomerun in the past couple of weeks, without which you will see
>     backend segfaults.
>

> My understanding is that those were QAM related.  I'm doing 8vsb (OTA).
>
> I have built the latest Myth (from SVN, fixed branch) but I'd like to
> make sure it isn't something fundamental first.
>
> Frankly, I'm a bit anxious about updating to an SVN version.  First, I
> have to deal with backing up the database in case there are schema
> changes.  Then I have to deal with LD_LIBRARY_PATH type issues trying
> to run the SVN version (in a different path).  Then I might find that
> while it fixes my problem it might introduce other problems (since it
> isn't an official release).  Before I go down that road I just want to
> make sure it isn't some other problem ( e.g. screwed up channel
> definitions) that will still happen even with the new version.
I would strongly recommend that you upgrade to the main branch. From
what I have seen so far the -fixes branch does not contain many of the
fixes for the hdhomerun. (For some reason the devs dont seem to backport
the changes into -fixes.)  Backup your database and install the trunk
version into the same location as your -fixes install and you will not
need to deal with path issues. You can go back simply by reinstalling
the old and restoring the database.

Good luck. I am waiting for a few more months before buying mine to make
sure the bugs have been squashed. :)