[mythtv-users] Small Front End?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 21 18:08:19 UTC 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Rich West wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a "standard" for my in-house front-end
> systems as I build things out.  I currently have a FE/BE setup
> mainly as
> a proof-of-concep and, with great surprise, it passed the 'wife'
> test. :)

Wow :-)

> However, for the front end setup, I am trying to find something:
> o Small
> o relatively quiet & cool (I say "relatively" because it will be
> mostly
> hidden away)
> o 64-bit based (basically, something that will last and not require
> constant hardware upgrades!).

Why 64-bit ? Myth doesn't need it or benefit from it.

> o Running Linux (FC5 / FC6)
> o Video.. something that can supply either s-video out, VGA, or
> component video out.
> o Something that I can use for all three of our TV's (older 27-inch
> s-video CRT, new LCD TV with oodles of inputs, and a 8yr old rear
> projection with composite, component, and s-video inputs)
> o Ability to do either analog stereo audio (for the CRT and LCD setups
> since neither are set up for surround sound) or digital audio (for the
> projection, which is the main home theater with surround)
> o Something that can have an IR receiver (of some sort) on it
> (supported
> by Linux)
>
> I've thought about miniITX, but, man, the price begins to skyrocket
> quickly just for a base system and case.
>

> Thoughts?  Ideas?

The main thing is that you didn't mention if you are trying to do HD
or not, which makes a *HUGE* difference in the required hardware.

If you are only going to do SD then you might want to look into a
MediaMVP for the smaller sets. Cheap and totally silent. Only analog
audio output though, but it does have an S-Video output.

Then you would only have to buy somehting more expensive for the
projector.